Saturday, November 29, 2008

WILLIAM REUBEN SMITH - my great-great-great grandfather who served in the Union Army in the Civil War, helping to protect the B&O Railroad line that ran through Ohio east to Baltimore and Washington, D.C., transporting troops and supplies for the Union Army. He built and owned the family farm at Relief -- just above Beverly -- in Washington County, Ohio along the big bend of the Muskingham River where the Ohio Power Plant is now located. The farm house he had built was still standing until just several years ago, with Ohio Power using it for storage. My great-grandmother would take my Great Uncle Van, brother of my grandmother on my father's side, by train to visit Grandpa "Billy" Smith every summer. His father was Abraham Smith (see below) and he married Driscilla Ryland, who later divorced him and took their daughter Flora Vanetta Smith to live with her in Vigo, Ohio.